Skip to main content
Best News Website or Mobile Service
WAN-IFRA Digital Media Awards Worldwide 2022
Best News Website or Mobile Service
Digital Media Awards Worldwide 2022
Hamburger Menu
Advertisement
Advertisement

Asia

Alleged murder of autistic boy in Malaysia: Parents claim trial to child negligence, grandparents arrested

The body of six-year old Zayn Rayyan Abdul Matiin was found in December last year, lying near a stream by his Selangor home.

Alleged murder of autistic boy in Malaysia: Parents claim trial to child negligence, grandparents arrested
Six-year-old Zayn Rayyan Abdul Matiin was found dead by a stream close to his Selangor home in December last year. (Photo: Facebook/Polis Daerah Petaling Jaya)

SINGAPORE: The parents of an autistic six-year-old boy allegedly murdered in Malaysia’s Selangor state last December have been charged in court with child negligence on Thursday (Jun 13), putting the spotlight back on a case that has sparked outrage and sorrow across the country. 

Meanwhile, Zayn Rayyan Abdul Matiin’s grandparents - who were arrested on Wednesday to assist with investigations under Section 302 of the Penal Code - are set to be released on bail. 

Section 302 of the Penal Code deals with murder and those convicted may be sentenced to death or imprisonment of between 30 and 40 years, and not less than 12 strokes of the cane.

The Star reported that Zayn’s parents - Zaim Ikhwan Zahari and Ismanira Abdul Manaf - pleaded not guilty to the offence under Child Act 2001 after it was read out before Sessions Court judge Dr Syahliza Warnoh.

According to Bernama, the charges were brought under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001, read together with Section 34 of the same act, which provides for a maximum fine of RM50,000 (US$10,595) or imprisonment of up to 20 years, or both, upon conviction.

The duo, who are both 29, were arrested on May 31. They were initially remanded for a seven-day period to assist in Zayn’s murder investigation, which was then extended by six days. 

Earlier on Wednesday, Mr Fahmi Abd Moin - the lawyer representing Zaim - claimed that his client had only been notified at around 9am that day about his upcoming court appearance scheduled for Thursday. 

Meanwhile, Ismanira was seen by local media entering court on the morning of Jun 12, accompanied by several individuals believed to be her family members.

Her lawyer Mahmud Jumaat has denied earlier allegations claiming that Ismanira had made a confession recorded under the Evidence Act 1950.

“Instead, she provided a statement to the magistrate,” he told a press conference on Wednesday.

The same day, the two lawyers also raised an objection to a police request for guilty admission, according to local media.  

Zayn was reported missing on Dec 5 last year in Damansara Damai, after his disappearance was noticed by his mother when she returned to the family home in Apartment Idaman in Selangor’s Petaling Jaya.

Ismanira told local media that Zayn had last been seen by some schoolchildren entering the jungle near the building and after informing her husband and local residents, she filed a police report and enlisted the help of local authorities. 

"However, when the Fire and Rescue Department and the police's K9 unit tried to search in that area, they reported finding no footprints or any clues indicating that my son was there," she said in a December interview, quoted by the New Straits Times. 

Zayn’s body was found a day later at around 10pm, lying close to a stream near his home. 

A post-mortem revealed self-defence injuries to his neck and body, leading to the conclusion that he had been killed, according to local media.

A mass DNA screening was also conducted and 228 samples were collected. Witnesses, including those who said they had seen the boy alive most recently, were also brought to the scene to assist investigators.

By Jan 9, Inspector-General of Police Razarudin Husain had announced that the investigation was 90 per cent complete, and by Jan 29, statements from more than 200 individuals had been recorded, according to The New Straits Times. 

Source: Agencies/ao(as)
Advertisement

Also worth reading

Advertisement